The Golden Horse Awards was founded in 1962, the original intention was to promote Taiwanese film production and recognize excellent Taiwanese films and outstanding filmmakers. The Chinese Characters "Golden Horse," pronounced as “Kim Ma” in Chinese, are derived from the names of the two outlying islands of Kinmen and Matsu.
In 1990, the organization of the 27th Golden Horse Awards Competition was transferred from the Government Information Office to The Motion Picture Development Foundation R.O.C., and TGHFF Executive Committee was established under its authority.
The official name of The Golden Horse Awards has been changed to "Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival," which is not only the most important film event in Taiwan, the main activities also extend to four parts – Golden Horse Award competition, Film Festival, Film Project Promotion and Film Academy. The Golden Horse Awards aims at encouraging the development of Chinese-language films. The Film Festival intends for introducing excellent films to Taiwanese audience from around the world to stimulate exchange of ideas and inspire creativity. The Film Project Promotion aims to facilitate cooperation between Chinese filmmakers and international industry professionals. The Film Academy tries to promote young filmmakers’ vision by organizing masters’ classes for them.
The Executive Committee
The executive board of the Committee consists of seven to eleven film scholars and film industry professionals, including the Chairman. The Committee’s CEO appointed by the Executive Board of the Committee, leads five departments to handle all business: an administration department for internal administrative affairs, guest hospitality and cross-industry collaboration; a marketing department responsible for event planning and promotion, press coordination, advertising and publications; a competition department in charge of the competition and awards ceremony; a film project promotion department attended to the execution of the project meetings; and a festival department devoted to festival planning, curation of films and invitation of filmmakers, subtitle translation and production, as well as all on-site arrangements during the festival.
From 2014 onwards, Sylvia CHANG serves as Chairman. The other committee members are LEE Hsing, HOU Hsiao-Hsien, YANG Kuei-Mei, LIAO Ching-Song, Tony HU, LEI Yuan, Edmond WONG, Eric SHIH, Peter Ho-Sun CHAN, Winnie TSANG.
- Sylvia CHANG succeeds as Chair of Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival Executive Committee.
- Golden Horse Fantastic Film Festival programs FilmmakerIn Focus: Woody Allen Early Films and “Sing-Along” Mamma Mia!
- Golden Horse Fantastic Film Festival screens “Sing-Along” version of The Love Eterne, and Filmmaker In Focus introduces works of David LYNCH.
- Golden Horse Film Festival presents Filmmaker In Focus for Abdellatif KECHICHE, Asghar FARHADI, and Alejandro JODOROWSKY. 50 Year of Golden Horse Master Class invites renowned filmmakers to talk with CEO WEN Tien-Hsiang; guests including HOU Hsiao-Hsien, Ang LEE, TSAI Ming-Liang, Johnnie TO, Peter CHAN, Ann HUI, LOU Ye, Stanley KWAN and Maggie CHEUNG.
- The festival invites Abdellatif KECHICHE, Brontis JODOROWSKY, Eugene DOMINGO, Rebecca ZLOTOWSKI, Pierre DELADONCHAMPS and Eytan FOX.
- Film Project Promotion (FPP) selects 25 projects out of the 117 submissions, along with 85 financiers for a total of 635 meetings. FPP Workshop invites LI Qiang and SU Chao-Pin as script advisers; Jeffrey CHAN and Lorna TEE as pitching trainer. FPP also invited Johnnie TO, CHEN Kuo-Fu and Jimmy HUANG as Jury member.
- Golden Horse Film Academy invitesHOU Hsiao-Hsien as Dean, along with mentor LIAO Ching-Song, YAO Hung-I and TU Duu-Chih. Film Academy also cooperates with FPP for the first time, to include the Academy participants for pitching.
- The 50th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall in Taipei. There are 265 films in the competition with Ang LEE as Chair of the Jury. Kevin TSAI hosts the ceremony for the 7th time, and he is also one of the jury this year. Best Feature Film Award was presented by HOU Hsiao-Hsien and Ang LEE, along with 40 previous winners of Best Actor and Best Actress. Ilo, Ilo became the first Singaporean film to be awarded Best Feature Film.
- In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Golden Horse, the committee published the book The Moment with interviews of 112 previous winners of Best Director, Best Actor and Best Actress; the committee also organized a special Golden Horse 50th Anniversary exhibition featuring over five hundred pieces of precious historical relics.
- Golden Horse Fantastic Film Festival programmed Filmmaker In Focus section for Alex de la IGLESIA, and Sing-Along special screening of The Sound of Music.
- Golden Horse Film Festival was held in Taipei and Yilan, featuring Filmmaker In Focus of Brillante MENDOZA,Theodoros ANGELOPOULOS,Chris MARKER, and Naoko OGIGAMI.
- Sion SONO, Masami NAGASAWA, Leos CARAX, Melvil POUPAUD, Brillante MENDOZA and renowned director Ang LEE all attended the festival.
- Film Project Promotion received 112 submissions; with 24 selected projects and 82 invited financiers, there are 591 one-on-one meetings. CNC Cash Award is established to encourage collaboration between Chinese-language film industry and French industry. Pitching workshop features producer Philip LEE.
- Film Academy invites YANG Ya-Che and LIEN Yi-Chi to be the instructor; other mentors include Nansun SHI, KWAN Pun-Leung, TU Duu-Chih, and LIM Giong.
- The 49th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Luodong Cultural Working House, Yilan, which is designed with the concept of forest and semi-open space. There 213 films in competition. Andy LAU chaired the jury; Bowie TSANG and HUANG Bo hosted the awarding ceremony; HUANG Bo is the first Chinese filmmaker ever to host the ceremony.
- Golden Horse Fantastic Film Festival was held at Taipei and Hsinchu while the surprising screening The Rocky Horror Picture Show once again astonished the audience; special section dedicated to Sam RAIMI.
- The committee invites one hundred of film experts and filmmakers to vote for 100 Best Chinese-Language Films, and publish the book The River of Shadow and Light.
- The committee initiated 10 + 10 film project, inviting 20 Taiwanese directors to make a 5-min short film each about “Uniqueness of Taiwan”. In 2011, 10 + 10 has its world premier as Golden Horse Film Festival Opening Film and its international premier at 2012 Berlin International Film Festival. It is later invited to various festivals including Hong Kong, Busan, Sao Paolo and Stockholm.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed Filmmaker In Focus section for Makoto SHINKAI, Tomer HEYMANN, Shinji AOYAMA, Bela TARR, LEE Chang-Dong and Sylvia CHANG. Japanese actors Haruma MIURA and Aoi MIYAZAKI also attended the festival.
- Film Project Promotion received 109 submissions; representatives of the 25 selected projects together with the 74 invited financiers have 521 meetings. Ten post-production companies supported FPP with sponsorship; the FPP also held the event Book Your Next Screenplay: Teatime With Taiwan’s Publishers.
- Film Academy invites CHEN Kuo-FU, Fruit CHAN, WANG Xiao-Shuai, YANG Kuei-Mei, Jennifer JAO, Jake POLLOCK and HUANG Mei-Ching as guest speakers; Arvin CHEN and CHANG Chan serve as mentor and cinematography instructor while LEE Chung and Tommy YU as assistant instructors.
- The 48th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Performing Arts Center in Hsinchu, with 159 films in competition. Sylvia CHANG chaired the jury and the ceremony was hosted by father-daughter duo Eric TSANG and Bowie TSANG.
- The 1st Golden Horse Fantastic Film Festival was held, introducing the first-ever Sing-Along screening The Rocky Horror Picture Show in Taiwan and a retrospective of Roman POLANSKI’s early works.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Japanese animation master KON Satoshi, Apichatpong WEERASETHAKUL, Eric ROHMER and “Overall Action Artists”, with attendance of Apichatpong WEERASETHAKUL, Satoshi TSUMABUKI, Denis VILLENEUVE, and Ludvine SAGNIER.
- Film Project Promotion selected 24 projects out of 84 submissions. FPP also invited 48 financiers to have a total 312 meetings with these selected projects.The event Meetings with Film Commissions in Taiwan facilitates filmmakers with subsidy policies and assistance for film production offered by various cities in Taiwan.
- Film Academy invites TU Duu-Chih, WANG Shaudi, SU Chao-Pin, ZHANG Yuan, CHEN Shiang Chyi, LIAO Pen-Jung, and Apichatpong WEERASETHAKUL as tutor; director HSIAO Ya-Chuan, WU Mi-Sen, cinematographer LIN Tse-Chung and CHANG Chan as class instructor.
- The 47th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taoyuan County Performing Arts Center with hosts Kevin TSAI and Dee HSU; there are 118 films in competition.
- Prestigious director HOU Hsiao-Hsien took the responsibility as Chair of Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival Executive Committee; the committee nodded for HOU’s proposal and changed the position of General Secretary to Chief Executive Officer; WEN Tien-Hsiang appointed as first CEO.
- Golden Horse Film Festival features programs of cinematographer Mark LEE Ping-Bing, Indian composer A.R. Rahman, Isabelle HUPPERT, John CASSAVETES, Jun ICHIKAWA and senior Taiwanese actress WEN Ying.
- Vincent PEREZ, Isabelle HUPPERT, Benoit JACQUOT, Gilles BOURDOS, Hirokazu KOREEDA, Isao YUKISADA, ODAGIRI Joe and Anh Hung TRAN attended the festival.
- The name of Film & TV Co-Production Meeting was changed to Golden Horse Film & TV Film Project Promotion (FTPP); of the 92 project submissions, 25 projects selected and 280 one-on-one meeting held. FTPP also held forums for Chinese-language film coproduction.
- Golden Horse Film Academy is established and held for the very first time with 16 participants chosen to participate in master classes and film production. HOU Hsiao-Hsien serves as Dean, along with mentors Ang LEE, John WOO, TSAI Ming-Liang, Stanley KWAN, LIAO Ching-Song, Mark LEE Ping-Bing and TU Duu-Chih.
- The annual theme of the festival is “Tribute to Cinematography”, with program section and publication A Poet of Light and Shadow: Mark Lee Ping Bing; awarding ceremony celebrated with attendance of renowned senior cinematographers and special performance dedicated to all cinematographers.
- The 46th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at New Taipei City Hall Multi-Purpose Auditorium, hosted by Matilda TAO. There are 102 films in competition and for the first time there are two winners in the Best Leading Actor category: CHEUNG Ka-Fai and HUANG Bo share the award with The Beast Stalker and Cow, respectively.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Aleksandr PETROV, Kon ICHIKAWA, Jean-Pierre MELVILLE. Aleksandr PETROV, Laurent CANTET, Kippei SHIINA, Yasuko MATSUYUKI, Koji ISHIZAKA attended the festival.
- In celebration of the 60th anniversary of film career for legendary Taiwanese director LI Hsing, the festival organized exhibition and forum Glory of Six Decades: Works of Li Hsing.
- The 9th Int’l Digital Shorts Competition received 177 submissions; the following year this competition was ceased due to the adjustment of festival direction and regulations.
- The committee organized the Film & TV Co-Production Meeting, with 70 Chinese-language submissions for 130 meetings.
- The 45th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taichung Chung Shan Hall, hosted by Carol CHENG and Charles “Blackie” CHEN; there are 104 films in competition.
- Film expert and producer Peggy CHIAO succeeds as Chair of Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival Executive Committee.
- Golden Horse Film Festival Federation of Film Critics and Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema are invited to establish FIPRESCI Award and NETPAC Award in Taiwan.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Yasmin AHMAD, Lucian PINTILE, LI Han-Hsiang, King HU and Edward YANG. Yasmin AHMAD, Shunji IWAI, Cristian MUNGIU, Johan LIBEREAU, and Vincent PARONNAUD attended the festival.
- Taiwan Film & TV Project Promotion was held for the first time with 91 Chinese-language film and TV project submissions; the Grand Prize shared by Hong Kong director YIM Ho’s Nanking X’mas 1937 and Clara LAW’s Like A Dream.
- There are 785 submissions in The 8th Golden Horse Int’l Digital Shorts Competition.
- The committee organized Tribute to Cinema Masters exhibition, displaying rare manuscripts and photos of King HU, LI Han-Hsiang, and Edward YANG.
- The 44th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Arena, hosted by Charles “Blackie” CHEN, Pauline LAN, and Angela CHOW; there are 80 films in competition; Joan CHEN won the Best Leading Actress Award with The Home Song Stories while Tony LEUNG Chiu Wai won his third Best Leading Actor Award with Lust, Caution(which is also LEUNG’s sixth nomination) and kept the record in this category.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Nicolas Winding REFN, Matthew BARNEY, Nobuhiro YAMASHITA, and a Tribute to Phlippe GARREL. REFN, YAMASHITA, along with Koki MITANI, Tetsuya NAKASHIMA, Miki NAKATANI and Yosuke KUBOZUKA attended the festival.
- There are 717 submissions to The 7th Int’l Digital Short Competition.
- The 43rd Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Arena, hosted by Kevin TSAI and Patty HOU; there are 70 films in competition. Best Feature Film went to After This Our Exile, and the father-and-son Arron KWOK and 9-year-old Goum Ian ISKANDAR in this film also awarded Best Leading Actor and Best Supporting Actor, respectively.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Dusan HANAK, Chantal AKERMAN, Tadanobu ASANO. Filmmakers attended the festival include Seijun SUZUKI, Tadanobu ASANO, Francois OZON, Jacques AUDIARD, Romain DURIS, and Jean-Pierre DARDENNE & Luc DARDENNE.
- There are 526 short filmsubmissions to The 6th Int’l Digital Short Competition.
- The 42nd Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Keelung Cultural Center; to emphasize the concept of Ocean City, the red carpet was changed to blue carpet. The ceremony hosts are HU Gua and Patty HOU; there are 71 films in competition.
- Director WANG Toon is invited as Chair of Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival Executive Committee.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed film sections for Bela TARR, Noboru SHINODA. Filmmakers attended the festival include Patrice LECONTE, Olivier ASSAYAS, Yoichi HIGASHI, Kazuyoshi KUMAKIRI, and Jorgen LETH.
- There are 516 short film submissions for The 5th Int’l Digital Short Competition.
- The 41st Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taichung Chung Shan Hall, hosted by LIN Chilin and Kevin TSAI who hosted four years consecutively; there are 80 films in competition.
- In celebration of the 40th Anniversary of Golden Horse Awards, the committee organized Golden Horse 40 Years Special Screenings for previous Best Feature Film winners, as well as Golden Horse 40: Remembering Leslie CHEUNG exhibition.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed film sections for Godfrey REGGIO, and Todd HAYNES. Filmmakers attended the festival include Godfrey REGGIO, Junji SAKAMOTO, Khyentse NORBU, and LOU Ye.
- The name of Golden Horse DV Competition is changedto The 4th Int’l Digital Short Competition, and opens to overseas submissions; there are over 300 submissions this year.
- The 40th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Tainan Municipal Cultural Center, once again hosted by Kevin TSAI and Carol CHENG; Nomination and Welcome Party was held outdoors at historical heritage Eternal Golden Castle; there are 53 films in competition.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed Filmmaker In Focus section for Krzysztof ZANUSSI with his attendance. Filmmakers attended the festival include Yoshimitsu MORITA, Isao YUKISADA, KIM Ki-Duk, Jacques AUDIARD, Jacques CLUZAUD, Vincent PEREZ and Emmanuelle DEVOS.
- The 3rd Golden Horse DV Competition adds animation and advertisement categories, along with 2002 Hinet Golden Horse Digital Film Festival.
- The festival organizes special screenings for The 20th Anniversary of New Taiwan Cinema, featuring attendance of director WANG Toon, CHEN Kun-Hou, actress YANG Kuei-Mei, YANG Jie-Mei, WEN Ying and actor YOU An-Shun.
- The 39th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Kaohsiung Cultural Center with 65 films in competition and hosted by Kevin TSAI and Carol CHENG.The ceremony paid a tribute to the 20th anniversary of New Taiwan Cinema and celebrated with the performance of TSAI Ching, Michelle PAN and TSAI Chiu-Feng.
- The Golden Horse Awards Ceremony has officially declined politicians to give speech or to present award. Former and current Chair LI Hsing and WANG Hsiao-Hsiang both appeal to the decision and affirm the stage dedicated to film and filmmakers.
- Committee Regulation Amendment: term of office for the Chair is two year, General Secretary other staff on annual contract basis, Vice General Secretary and Consultant abolished while executive committee members reduced. WANG Hsiao-Hsiang and WANG Ching-Hua serve as the Chair and General Secretary respectively.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed special sections for Pier Paolo PASOLINI, Marlene DIETRICH and Taiwanese director SONG Chun-So. Filmmakers attended the festival include Claire DENIS, Jean-Jacques BEINEIX, Joji MATSUOKA, Fruit CHAN and ZHOU Xun.
- The 2nd Golden Horse DV Competition focuses on the theme “2001: A Digital Odyssey” with 160 submissions.
- The 38th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Hualien County Stadium, hosted by Kevin TSAI and Isabel KAO. There are 72 submissions this year; QIN Hailu won Best New Performer and Best Leading Actress for her performance in Durian, Durian.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Iara LEE, Otar IOSSELIANI, Peter GREENAWAY, and director of Taiwanese-language films HSIN Chi. Filmmakers attended the festival include Joan CHEN, Hideaki ANNO, and Anh Hung TRAN.
- The 1st Golden Horse DV Competition was held to encourage public involvement of digital video creation.
- The 37th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall in Taipei, hosted by Matilda TAO, Stephen FUNG and Nicky WU. Theme of the year is martial arts and many action movie stars are invited to the ceremony, including HSU Feng, YUEN Biao, David CHIANG, Stephen TUNG Wai and Michelle YEOH.
- There are 66 films in competition;with her sixth nomination, Maggie CHEUNG won the fourth Beat Leading Actress Award, setting an unbreakable record for the category.
- Director LI Hsing took the responsibility as Chair of Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival Executive Committee.
- The committee reached agreements with The Government Information Office: do not actively invite politicians to the Golden Horse Awards Ceremony, the politicians attended will not step on the stage, not give speech and not present any award.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed retrospective for Kiyoshi KUROSAWA and PAI Ching-Jui. Filmmakers attended include Kiyoshi KUROSAWA, Khyentse NORBU, and Francois OZON.
- The 36th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, hosted by Matilda TAO and Emil CHAU. There are 59 films in competition; theme of the ceremony is Renaissance, featuring performance by Sandy LAM, Jenny TSENG, Jacky CHEUNG, and A-Mei.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed Fading Master section in memoriam of Sergei EISENSTEIN, as well as sections for Tony GATLIF, Takeshi KITANO, Guy MADDIN, and Gerrit VAN DIJK. Filmmakers attended include Gerrit VAN DIJK, Robert WISE and Vivian WU.
- The 35th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, in collaboration with The 43rd Asia Pacific Film Festival, hosted by Jacky WU and Isabel KAO. Of the 63 films in competition, XiuXiu- The Sent Down Girl won seven awards, including Best Feature Film, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Leading Actor and Best Leading Actress. It is the first film ever to win the five major awards altogether.
- General Manager of Central Pictures Corporation CHIU Shun-Ching succeeded as Chair of Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival Executive Committee.
- The Government Information Office abolished the Regulations of Golden Horse Awards for Outstanding Mandarin Films, re-positioning Golden Horse Awards as a Chinese-language film competition worldwide. Subsidy for the awarding ceremony and budget for the awards are allocated to the committee for organizing relevant events.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Rolf DE HEER, Mohsen MAKHMALBAF, Jan Jakub KOLSKI. Filmmakers attended include Rolf DE HEER, Masaki TAMURA, Naomi KAWASE, Jessica YU.
- The 34th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, hosted by SUI Haoping and Sandra NG. There are 60 films in competitionwith Sigourney WEAVER as award presenter.
- Chair of the Committee CHIU Fu-Sheng resigned in February, and The Motion Picture Foundation R.O.C. recommended President of Chinese Filmmaking Association YANG Teng-Kuei to succeed. In October, YANG’s company was involved in gambling of The Chinese Professional Baseball League; President of the Foundation HSU Li-Kong substituted for this position.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Krzysztof KIESLOWSKI, Lars von TRIER, Anh Hung TRAN, Mike LEIGH. Filmmakers attended include Anh Hung TRAN, Yoichi HIGASHI, Olivier ASSAYAS.
- The 33rd Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Kaohsiung Cultural Center, hosted by HU Gua and Cally KWAN. Of the 92 films in competition, Chinese film In the Heat of the Sun won six awards, including Best Feature Film, Best Director and Best Leading Actor.
- CHIU Fu-Sheng took the responsibility as Chair of Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival Executive Committee.
- In celebration of centennial of film, the committee collaborates with Chinese Taipei Film Archive and National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall to organize the exhibition Taiwan film heritages.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Theodoros ANGELOPOULOS, Jan SVANKMAJER. Filmmakers attended included Hirokazu KOREEDA, Mitsuo YANAGIMACHI, Kaizo HAYASHI and Arthur HILLER, the President of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science
- The 32nd Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, hosted by CHANG Hsiao-Yen and Sylvia CHANG; there are 46 films in competition.
- LI Hsing resigned from his position as Chair of the Committee; the responsibility was then taken over by President of The Motion Picture Foundation R.O.C. CHIANG Fung-Chi.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Atom EGOYAN, Shuji TERAYAMA. Filmmakers attended include Atom EGOYAN, Abbas KIAROSTAMI, Vincent PEREZ, Kaizo HAYASHI.
- The 31st Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, hosted by Regina TSENG along with LUNG Sihung, Kenny BEE and CHANG Shih; three actors of different generations represents inheritance between filmmakers; there are 49 films in competition.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Abbas KIAROSTAMI, Olivier ASSAYAS and Hal HARTLEY. Olivier and Hal both attended the festival in person.
- The festival held Golden Horse 30th Anniversary Poster Exhibition and Golden Horse 30 Retrospective film festival.
- There are some first-times for the ceremony: the President invited to present Golden Horse Award, red carpet set for the ceremony, Chinese filmmakers’ participation and the ceremony broadcast live all across Asia.
- The 30th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr, Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, hosted by SUN Yueh and FANG Fang-Fang. There are 57 films in competition; Jackie CHAN won Best Leading Actor by Crime Story, setting a record of winning in this category twice in a row.
- Taipei Golden Horse International Film Festival Executive Committee is officially renamed as Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival Executive Committee
- Golden Horse Film Festivalprogrammed sections for Jim JARMUSCH andNagisa OSHIMA, with OSHIMA’s attendance, as well as special memorial section In Memory of Bruce LEE and Swordplay Film Retrospective.
- The 29th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, hosted by CHANG Hsiao-Yen and Lawrence CHENG Tan Shui; there are 38 films in competition.
- The Motion Picture Foundation R.O.C officially transformed into an NGO, and Taipei Golden Horse International Film Festival Executive Committee was incorporated into the Foundation. LI Hsing remained Chair of the Committee and the term of duty was shortened to two years.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Pedro ALMODOVAR, Idrissa OUEDRAOGO. Filmmakers attended included Chantal AKERMAN, Masayuki SUO, Joji MATSUOKA, Michitaka TSUTSUI.
- The 28th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Theater, hosted by LING Feng and Sibelle HU. There are 38 films in competition;WANG Lai and Rebecca PAN Tik-Wa share the Best Supporting Actress Award with Pushing Hands and Days of Being Wild, respectively. This is the first time in Golden Horse history that award is shared by two recipients.
- Taipei Golden Horse International Film Festival Executive Committee was established, with LI Hsing as Chair and LEE Tain-Dow as General Secretary.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Masahiro SHINODA, and Krzysztof KIESLOWSKI’s The Decalogue. Filmmakers attended included Robert WISE, Fujio A FUJIKO and Shima IWASHITA.
- The 27th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Theater in Taipei, hosted by WONG Jim and CHANG Hsiao-Yen. There are 50 films in competition; Till the End of the World won eight awards including Best Feature Film.
- The festival is officially named Taipei Golden Horse International Film Festival and set up a preparatory organization whose members include film-related associations and university departments. Stan LAI, Chair of Department of Drama at National Taiwan University of Arts, was recommended as General Secretary; LAI later resigned the position for his illness and Director of Chinese Taipei Film Archive JING Ying-Ruey succeeded.
- In addition to the Chinese-language film competition, there is another international film competition this year. However, the aim and process of the international film competition had been criticized and thus discontinued the following year.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Kazuo SHINOHARA, and Alain RESNAIS. John Lone and Etsuko ICHIHARA attended the festival.
- The 26th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Theater in Taipei, hosted by BA Ke and YING Hsia. There are 66 films in competition; Full Moon in New York won eight awards including Best Feature Film.
- Regulations of Golden Horse Awards are amended; the award and the ceremony are thereafter organized by the Committee, instead of various film groups in rotation. PAI Ching-Jui served as General Secretary.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed four sections: Masterpieces, Chinese Classics, World Panorama and South America Perspective.
- The 25th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Chinese Stadium in Taipei, hosted by David TAO and Sylvia CHANG with special guests Glenn FORD and Lauren BACALL; there are 67 films in competition.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed special section for Satyajit RAY
- The 24th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Cultural Center, hosted by David TAO and CHANG Hsiao-Yen; there are 57 films in competition.
- The film industry suggests that Golden Horse Awards be held by a standing organization, i.e. The Government Information Office; however, The GIO insists that the festival handed over to NGO is a confirmed policy.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed Selection of New German Cinema, screening works of Werner HERZOG, Rainer Wemer FASSBINDER, and Wim WENDERS.
- The 23rd Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Cultural Center, hosted by Eris TSENG, and CHANG Hsiao-Yen; there are 65 films in competition. Sylvia CHANG is nominated in four categories with her film Passion, including Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Song and Best Leading Actress and she won the Best Leading Actress Award.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections for Jean RENOIR and Avant-Garde Classics.
- The 22nd Golden Horse Awards was held at Kaohsiung Cultural Center, and there is a parade featuring filmmakers right before the ceremony hosted by SUN Yueh and Terry HU. There are 63 films in competition; YANG Hui-Shan won Best Leading Actress Award consecutively for the second time with Kuei-Mei, A Woman.
- Golden Horse Awards was held by an NGO for the first time. National Theater Association organized the committee and Motion Picture Producers Association of Republic of China in charge of Secretary Department.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed section for Ingmar BERGMAN.
- The 21st Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, hosted by WANG Kuan-Hsiung and YAO Wei; there are 89 films in competition. Best Feature Film went to Growing Up and in the following years more films of New Taiwan Cinema were awarded at Golden Horse Awards.
- Director of The Government Information Office James SOONG handed the plaque handwritten by CHANG Dai-Chien to National Theater Association, representing the Golden Horse Awards would therefore be managed by NGO.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed sections of Alfred HITCHCOCK in England and Selection of Taiwanese Films in the 50s.
- The 20th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Cultural Center, hosted by SUN Yueh and TIEN Niu; there are 62 films in competition.
- The Government Information Office invites ten NGO film organizations to participate in Golden Horse Awards; Deputy Director of GIO in charge ofcoordinating these groups into a working committee.
- Golden Horse Film Festival programmed Selection of Taiwanese Films in the 60s and section for Robert BRESSON. It also added sections for documentary and short films, introducing works of prestigious title designer Saul BASS and documentary director Frederick WISEMAN.
- The 19th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, hosted by JIANG Guang-Chao and Terry HU. The ceremony was held by the GIO and NGOs together, with special guests Joan FONTAINE and Horst BUCHHOLZ. There are 90 films in competition.
- The 18th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held outside of Taipei for the first time, at Kaohsiung Cultural Center and hosted by LEE Tao and Josephine SIAO; George CUKOR, Alain DELON and Charles BRONSON were invited to attend the ceremony. There are 96 films in competition.
- Golden Horse International Film Festival was held for the first time with 15 films. There are also panorama of Hong Kong new directors, with guests TSUI Hark, Patrick TAM, YIM Ho and Ann HUI.
- The 17th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, hosted by JIANG Guang-Chao and Sylvia CHANG; also it marked the first use of the Golden Horse Awards Song music by FAN Man-Nong and lyric SUN Yi. There are 62 films in competition; special guests include Toshiro MIFUNE and Connie STEVENS.
- The 16th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, and expended into an awarding program hosted by CHIANG Guang-Chao and Sylvia CHANG with 42 films in competition. The ceremony is no longer fixed on 30th, October. Special guests include Elizabeth TAYLOR, James MASON and John Philip LOW.
- Major amendment of the jury process and the awarding ceremony: the jury announce nomination list at the first stage;at the second stage jury will vote for each category on the same day of the ceremony and announce the winner at the ceremony.
- The 15th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall, hosted by WANG Hao and Ivy LING Po and live broadcasting on TV; there are 51 films in competition.
- The 14th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall with 51 films in competition. Best Director CHANG Cheng-Chai, Best Leading Actor Charlie CHIN and Best Leading Actress Chelsia CHAN attended the ceremony to receive the award.
- The 13rd Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall with 39 films in competition. Best Director CHANG Pei-Cheng, Best Leading Actor CHANG Feng and Best Leading Actress HSU Feng attended the ceremony to receive the award.
- The 12nd Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall with 41 films in competition. Best Leading Actor Charlie CHIN and Best Leading Actress Lisa LU attended the ceremony to receive the award.
- Golden Horse Awards was suspended for one year in respect to Asia Pacific Film Festival.
- Executive Yuan revoked Bureau of Culture at the Ministry of Education; newly established Department of Motion Pictures Affairs at Government Information Office took over film-related affairs and organized the Golden Horse Awards for Outstanding Mandarin Films.
- The 11th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall with 33 films in competition. Best Director CHENG Gang, Best Leading Actor YANG Chun and Best Leading Actress SHAN-KWON Ling Fung attended the ceremony to receive the award.
- The 10th Golden Horse Awards was held at the studio of Chinese Television System (CTS) to combine with program of the President’s Birthday Celebration. Winners of the previous year were invited as presenters for Best Leading Actor/Actress, Best Supporting Actor/Actress, Best Director and Best Screenplay. There are 38 films in competition.
- The 9th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall with 46 films in competition. Best Director TING Shan-Hsi, Best Leading Actress Lisa LU and Best Supporting Actress Sally CHEN are first-time winners while WANG Ying won his second Best Leading Actor Award.
- The 8th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at former Mandarina Crown Hotel in Taipei. Best Leading Actor KO Hsiang-Ting and Best Leading Actress GUA Ah-Lei attended the ceremony; there are 55 films in competition.
- The 7th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at former Mandarina Crown Hotel in Taipei. Storm Over the Yangtse River, produced by Taiwan Film Studio, won three major awards: Best Leading Actress LEE Li-Hua, Best Leading Actor YANG Chun and Best Supporting Actor SUN Yueh. There are 48 films in competition.
- The 6th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall with 38 films in competition. Winners of Best Leading Actor/Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress TSUI Fu-Sheng, Ivy LING Po, JING Miao and OUYANG Sha-Fei, Best Director PAI Ching-Jui and Best Screenplay King HU all attended the ceremony.
- The Government Information Office handed film-related affairs to the newly established Bureau of Culture at Ministry of Education.
- The 5th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall with 22 films in competition. HSIEH Ling-Ling won her second Best Child Performer Award with Orchids and My Love. Best Director LEE Chia, Best Leading Actor/Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress OU Wei, CHIANG Chin, TSUI Fu-Sheng and YU Chen attended the ceremony.
- Amendment of Regulations of Golden Horse Awards for Outstanding Mandarin Films requires all winners must accept the award in person; those who cannot attend the ceremony must pick it up in person within one year.
- The 4th Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall with 27 films in competition. GUA Ah-Lei awarded Best Leading Actress by Misty Rain, and WANG Mo-Cho awarded Special Acting Award by The Silent Wife.
- The 3rd Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Zhongshang Hall. Best Director LIHsing and Best Leading Actor KO Hsiang-Ting both awarded by Beautiful Duckling attended the ceremony. Most awarded filmmakers would dress suits and gowns tailor-made by the film company during that time.
- Golden Horse Awards was suspended for one year, The Government Information Office announced the following reasons:
1) Asia Pacific Film Festival has just been held in Taipei, there is no need for another film festival in the same year.
2) The social atmosphere tends to be dissipated; from this aspect, Golden Horse Awards is needless at the time.
3) The crash accident of Hong Kong film tycoon LOKE Wan-Tho, founder of Motion Picture and General Investments Limited (MP&GI), along with other filmmakers greatly devastated film industry.
- The 2nd Golden Horse Awards Ceremony was held at Taipei Guokuang Theater.
- Ivy LING Po cross-dressed as a male in The Love Eterne; the jury couldn’t decide whether to award her with Best Leading Actor or Best Leading Actress. They eventually presented a Best Acting Special Award, which is also the first special award. As LING came to Taiwan to accept the award, drawing hundreds of thousands audience, that day Taipei was named City of Fanatic.
- The Government Information Office announced 1962 Regulations of Golden Horse Awards for Outstanding Mandarin Films, officially founding Golden Horse Awards with eighteen categories. Winners are announced in advance prior to the ceremony, and such procedure has been carried on from the 1st through the 14th Golden Horse Awards.
- The 1st Golden Horse Awards for Outstanding Mandarin Films Ceremony was held at Taipei Guokuang Theater, hosted by Chief of The Government Information Office SHEN Chien-Hung. Seven Golden Horse Awards and NTD 370,000 cash prize were presented.
- Date of the ceremony was set on 31st, October as a celebration for the President’s birthday; the 2nd through the 15th ceremony were held on 30th, October as a warming-up for the President’s birthday celebration.
- The first Best Feature Film went to Sun, Moon and Star; Lucilla YOU Min also won Best Leading Actress with this film.
- Executive Yuan promulgated Regulations of Golden Horse Awards for Outstanding Mandarin Films to encourage excellence in filmmaking in three categories: Feature Film, Documentary, and Individual. Each category may include multiple recipients who will receive cash prizeand award statuette.